January 16, 2008

Roughing Up a Stamp

I had a question posted to my blog (on this post). Pam wanted to know exactly what I meant about roughing up a stamp.

Here is her question:
I love your card! I was wondering what you mean by roughing up your stamp. can you explain? I hate how hard it is to ink these kind up.

When you get a really smooth set like Birthday Whimsy, you might often see the ink "pooling" or looking uneven on it when you ink it up. This results in an unevenly colored stamped image, and personally I hate that.

To solve that problem I follow a few simple steps. Clean the ink off of your stamps so you don't get ink on your clothes or carpet. Take your stamp and you can rub it gently on your jeans. If I have something else on that day I may rub the stamp lightly across the carpet tiles in our basement since they are sort of rough. I have also used my Stampin' Up! white sanding blocks to rub across the smooth surface of the stamp.

You don't want to rub too vigorously or hard, but you want to get rid of the slickness of the smooth surface. I then clean my stamp again to make sure there is no fuzz or anything else on it. Then ink your stamp up and look to see how the ink is sitting on the surface. Sometimes you need to repeat the roughing up steps again, but often once is enough. You will notice that the ink is smooth and not "pooling" on the surface. You will then be guaranteed a smooth image when you do stamp it.

I hope that answers your question! If anyone needs further explanation just post your question here and I'll be sure to get to it.

Jenn

ETA: Here are some additional tips from readers. Thanks Mary and Kimberleigh! I hope you don't mind me adding them to the text portion for easy referrence.

Mary said - You can also use an adhesive remover, 200 grit sandpaper or the light side of an emery board.

Kimberleigh said - One of those big pink erasers the kids use for school work nicely as well!

3 comments:

Mary C. said...

Hi Jenn ~ Did you know you can also use an adhesive remover, the square on ethat looks like the bottom of your grandma's tennis shoes. 200 grit sandpaper or the light side of an emery board works really well too.

Kimberleigh said...

One of those big pink erasers the kids use for school work nicely as well! Love your blog!

Flossie's Follies said...

Thanks for the information I have stamps that do that and I wind up not using them, now I can, have used the eraser trick on the $ acrylic stamps glad to hear I can use on the rubber stamps.