January 31, 2008

A Peek into my Stamping Space

Today has been a crazy day! We are expecting 6 - 10 inches of snow tonight so this morning I dropped Colin off at Preschool and Evan and I headed over to Target to pick up milk and things we would need if we got snowed in for a day. We rushed back home so I could exercise and take a shower before we headed back to pick Colin back up. Then it was lunch, playing and a bunch of cleaning.



I gave my stamping space a bit of a overhaul. I get bored with the same set up all of the time and I'm constantly re-organizing to make room for more and more stuff. In a few years I may end up with the entire 600 square foot space. I'll just have to kick the kids toys out and we'll be set. Actually my dream is to add on to our house so I can have a room upstairs with lots of windows and natural light. I keep talking about my stamping loft when I put the second story addition onto our ranch style house.

Anyway you will now see how OCD I am. I cannot work if I have any clutter on my table. I can only have a few things left out each time - Sunlight lamps, grid paper, Stampin' Scrub and Mist, ATG Gun, Table Top Paper cutter, Scor-Pal, Fiskars paper trimmer and my stack of catalogs. After I create each and every card I put everything away and start over! It keeps me organized and sane. I always put my scraps into the right cellophane bag, ink pads away and punches back on my rack.

As you can see I have 3 Two Drawer filing cabinets and there is a drawer for each color family. I keep full and half sheets of cardstock in a hanging file folder, one for each color. All of my scraps have their own cellophane bag, the size that you can buy on a Stampin' Up! supply order. I think there are 50 in each pacakage. These are kept in cheap magazine storage bins on top of my white cabinets. I think I got 4 of them from LTD for $5.

My punches and ribbon are all stored on racks that I got from IKEA. The bars come with baskets, cups and hooks. They are super cheap, ranging from $0.99 - $2.99 an item. They are very sturdy. I'm not fond of the way all of the ribbon hangs in the baskets, but it works for now. Behind my table I also have a rolling storage cart I got from Costco. You are supposed to be able to hang 12 X 12 folders in it. I haven't purchased any yet, but the bottom shelf has 12 X 12 paper holders that lie flat. I also have to use the drawers to hide Stampin' Sponges since my two cats go crazy over them and are constantly stealing them.

My husband and I did 99% of the work in finishing our basement so we are still waiting on a drop ceiling. I can't wait because I am sure it will brighten my dungeon up a lot. For now we have other things that rank higher in priority that we want to spend our money on though. LOL! But we did the drywall, electricity, flooring, moulding and the rest by ourselves with a little help from family along the way. I never want to drywall again in my life! That was one labor intensive job.

Now that I am organized again I can hopefully get some stamping done, so I can share a project with you.

Jenn

4 comments:

jensmessystudio said...

Hello! :) where in IL are you?! I'm in IL too! We're also expecting 6 to 9 inches of snow too!! I'm about 30 miles from St. Louis. BTW I like your scrap space!!

Mistylynn said...

I wish I had a space like yours and I also wish I had the desire to always clean up when I'm finished. I have SUPER CLUTTER on my table. I should clean that today. I guess I don't miss IL too much now that you're getting so much snow. I keep telling my kids I had to walk to school in my snow suit, they don't even know what a snow suit is! Have a great day.
Misty

Tina said...

What a fantastic space. Looks really organized, I like that. I have a tiny wall in my son's toy room.

Robb_eeie said...

Hi Jenn .... you are one lucky lady having that Huge space all to yourself along with your rubber, ink, and paper friends :)

QUESTION: How do those IKEA bars "hold" onto your punches? Do you just have them kinda hanging on the bars, or are their hooks, magnets, etc.? Are the bars magnets as well?
I'm in the process of trying to design my Rubber Room -{smile}- but still need to find ways to keep my stuff out of the way and VERY-VERY organized and neat. Yes... I too am VERY OCD in my creative life, and the older I get (I'm 43 Shhhh) the worse it seems. But it's just how you describe it Jenn ... I need my work area (table) organized and cleaned and can only allow certain tools to "live" there. I'm also still in the process of trying to figure out how to organize ooodles and ooodles of embellishments, so if you think of anything or have any ideas, I'd love to hear them, or post them here on your Blog :) Thanks !

People don't understand this, but if my tools and working space isn't organized, then my mind feels like it's being over-powered by the disorganization and I can't think of anything to do except get up and clean-up ... then my mind is at peace and ready to create :)
I know, it sounds rather "quirky", and it is LOL, but this is how it works in my mind :)

Thanks for sharing the great pics of your craft room and showing us how you organize your creative space :0) ~~**Happy Organizing**~~