January 20, 2008

Build a Brads meet Chocolate

At my last Hostess Club meeting I used up a tin of Build a Brads. I knew I was getting low so I brought a second tin with me. As I was taking the empty tin off of the table I used the opportunity to show everyone how quickly you can punch holes in one side to add a ribbon handle with the Crop-a-Dile. I then decided I would turn it into a little purse.

As with a lot of things I intend to do, it got set off to the side. In the last week I remembered it after a conversation with some fellow Control Freaks. So I pulled it out and took some measurements. The bottom of the tin requires a 3/4" X 12" strip to go around the bottom of the tin. A 1/4" X 12" strip will wrap around the lip of the lid. I used Ginger Blossom dsp on mine. You can click the photo for a larger view.

So that the ribbon wouldn't be in the way of the chocolates I used some sticky strip on each end and stuck it flat to the inside edge of the tin. I used a 8" piece of River Rock double stitched ribbon. Next time I may use a slightly smaller piece, so that it doesn't stand up quite so much.

After the outside of the tin was decorated I used my Eastern Elegance Rub Ons to decorate the window of the tin. If you do this just be careful to not apply too much pressure because there is the possibility of pushing the thin layer of clear plastic out of the window.

My purse was done, but I had no idea what I was going to put into it, until Lisa Martz mentioned that she found that Hershey Nuggets fit into the tin. I found with mine that 6 fit comfortably, but will slide around if stood on the side like mine is. If you have a belly band around the middle of the tin you can fit 12. I have another tin that I plan to do this with later when it is empty.

To decorate my nuggets I used Avery labels. I stamped them with the image from Embrace Life in Basic Gray ink and then colored them in with Regal Rose and Mellow Moss ink. I then wrapped the label around the piece of chocolate.

I bet you didn't know that Stampin' Up! sold Nugget Tins and the best part is that they come with the wonderful Build a Brads in it!

I have had such a fun stamping weekend! I still have a couple of projects to finish for VSN, but I got 11 projects done that are ready to show you over the next few days. Since my blog will be running it self I can finish my Sale-a-Bration swap cards. I finally decided on a design, but I'll post that after the swaps have been sent back to the participants.

Jenn


Stamps: Embrace Life
Paper: Ginger Blossom dsp, Avery Labels
Ink: Basic Gray, Regal Rose, Mellow Moss
Accessories: CAD, River Rock Double Stitched Ribbon, sticky strip, blender pen, Eastern Elegance Rub Ons
Techniques: nugget box, watercoloring

13 comments:

beate said...

Wonderful altered tin, Jenn!
Hugs and smiles

Connie said...

Jenn:

How cute is that! One of my tins is almost empty...I'll need to remember this! Thanks!

Rhonda said...

FREAKIN' cute Jenn. You gave me a reason to use those brads up and quit hoarding. Thanks!

Stefanie said...

What a great excuse to actually use my build-a-brads and not just hoard them. ;)

Lisa said...

Great way to use those tins Jenn!

corinnesomerville said...

What a genius idea !!!!! Way to go, kiddo !!!

Have a good one.
Corinne

My Paper World said...

Such a great idea! and it looks fabulous!

Elaine said...

Thanks for the great idea!

I love your blog! It's so neat and your pictures are great!

Taylor said...

What a cute idea for the build a brad tins! TFS!

Mistylynn said...

You're so funny Jenn. Making use outta everything and being a loveable perfectionist just like myself. It looks great although I do think your idea about a tad shorter ribbon would be awesome too.
Take care.
Misty

Tina said...

Absolutely adorable. Can't go wrong with chocolate!

Michelle said...

Very cute - what a great idea - genius!

Dawn Easton said...

Wow! FAB idea! I have one of these sitting empty now...hmmmm will have to try this. Thank you so much for sharing!