January 22, 2008

Black and White with a Splash of Red

I made this card for one of the VSN challenges. The challenge was to use black for your main image panel. I decided I wanted to try out the bleaching technique, and I failed miserably, but I love this card!

I kept the layout fairly simple since I was reading up on a new technique, to me at least, so I started with a 5 1/2" X 8 1/2" Basic Black cardstock base. I then layered a piece of Whisper white in which I had stamped the leaf image from Embrace Life in Basic Black ink. The main panel is matted on Real Red.

To start my main panel I stamped the image in Whisper White Craft ink and then heat embossed it with White embossing powder. I then took Clorox bleach and an old watercolor brush and put bleach on the inside of the flower petals. Do you see a difference? I don't. That is why I failed miserably in my bleaching technique. I even went over it 4 or 5 times until I couldn't stand the smell of bleach anymore and gave up.

I tied a simple basic black bow under the main image panel and added my sentiment punched out with the word window punch.

Do you remember last week when I mentioned I got the Billy Blanks Elite Boot camp? Well the Mission One DVD has been nice and easy and I feel like I've been back to the gym, so I love it. I did that 4 times last week and the schedule says to do Mission Two today. It kicked my butt! I exercise after I've dropped Colin off at preschool and after I've had a little breakfast. Today I feel like I can't move. Muscles I didn't know I had are hurting even while sitting still. I hope tomorrow when I have the Mission One DVD on my schedule I can actually move. LOL! At least it's a good kind of sore, but I have been falling into a dead sleep the moment my head hits the pillow.

Have a great Tuesday! We are dealing with snow here, and the roads are absolutely awful.

Jenn

6 comments:

Flossie's Follies said...

so elegant, love how you used the read to break it up

Mistylynn said...

I think bleaching is a hit or miss thing. My SU demo friend said that the clorox ulitmate care bleach works better because it's thick like a gel, we didn't add water. Hmmm. Sorry you're sore but I totally feel your pain. I did an OLD taebo work out and there was this muscle in my forearm that was killing me after it. Keep it up GIRL!
Misty

Tara said...

very cool card!! I love the splash of red! You have made want the embrace life set! :)

Laura said...

Love the card Jenn! It's so striking. You know bleach gets old and loses it's effectiveness to oxidize. I also like the new, recently new bleach pens...they are gelled or something, but I think it helps keep it fresh in some way! Your card turned out terrific anyway!

Angie Tieman said...

Wow! Jaw-dropping gorgeous!! It's so striking like that! Way go to on the workout, I need to check into that, big-time!

Tina said...

Stunningly beauiful card. The bleaching thing for me is hit or miss too.