December 24, 2007

Toilet Paper in the Stamp Room

It's not just for the bathroom anymore.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The main image of this card is made from Single Ply Toilet paper. I used a stamp as a mold to make a raised image by using a Watercolor brush (an AquaPainter works too), water and toilet paper. You then have to let it dry overnight, or a hair dryer with a diffuser on the cool setting works well too. Just make sure not to burn the paper.

Anyway, you take your stamp and place it on your table image side up. Take one square of toilet paper and lay it over your stamp. Take your brush with water and dampen the area over the raised image on the stamp. It will move into the creases and indents. The first piece is hardest to work with but as you add each layer it will get easier. After the first piece is damped lay over the second square of toilet paper and repeat the dampening. You will do this with all 8 layers. I used Scott brand toilet paper and it worked out well. After all 8 layers are done set it aside to dry overnight, but do not use a Heat Gun to dry it. I found out it burns the paper if left on too long.

After your image is dry trim the paper the size you want it. I used the Stampin' Up! Table Top cutter. I don't think it will work with a regular Fiskars slide cutter or Rotary cutter. The paper tears very easily. I then used Stampin' Pastels to color the raised areas of my image. To keep them from rubbing off and to intensify the color I took Versamark and patted it on top of my image, added Crystal Clear embossing Powder and then embossed very carefully. Do not leave direct heat on the Toilet paper layer for very long.

I will try to have a photo tutorial up over the next week or so for all of the visual learners. I'm one of them too when it comes to crafting.

After the main image was done I just used it as I would any main image and finished off my card. The rest of the card is pretty simple so I'll leave you with a recipe for it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas Eve. This morning is a normal day for us as Roger has to work and then his parents, brother and wife are coming over to celebrate with us. Until then I do have some time to stamp!

Jenn


Stamps: Spring Solitude
Paper: Rose Red, Basic Gray, Bali Breeze dsp, Taken with Teal, Whisper White, Toilet Paper
Ink: Stampin' Pastels, Versamark, Rose Red
Accessories: Heat Gun, Crystal Clear embossing Powder, 5/8" Old Olive Grosgrain, 1/16" hole punch, dimensionals, vintage brads
Techniques: cast toilet paper

2 comments:

Tina said...

Wow, so pretty and soft.

Shannon McGann said...

What a great idea! I wish I could do this with my stamp clubs, but I think it would take way too long to wait for the tp to dry. I'm definitely going to try it for myself, though! Thanks for sharing!