October 25, 2007

Handy Home Organizer




Once again I was inspired by an advertisement that was delivered to my e-mail. I made this for a fraction of the cost too, which is even better. I bought a plain black binder from Target today for $0.97. I took a piece of Baroque Backgrounds designer series paper that I bought back when I could pre-order it and cut it to fit the front of my binder. I noticed that the back and front covers both had different measurements, but I used a piece of 12 X 12 paper that I cut down to 11 1/2" X 10 1/2". I used the extra to wrap around to the inside so the edges are covered as well. To adhere the paper I covered the front liberally with Mod Podge and a paint brush. I thought I had some foam brushes left and I was too impatient and didn't have the energy to drag two kids to the store to buy some new ones. There are some brush marks, but up close they are very faint. When the paper was on I also coated the front with Mod Podge to protect it. This is going to be handled a lot and I didn't want it to get full of finger prints. After it was dry I added the 5/8" Chocolate Chip Grosgrain ribbon and the tag. I used my Define Your Life set for this since it's going to be an organizational tool for my household.



I found a 2008 calendar online by doing a Google search. I printed it out on Very Vanilla cardstock and then stamped the flourish from Baroque Motifs in River Rock and the flowers in Groovy Guava. I stamped off the Groovy Guava once for a more muted look before I stamped on my calendar.



For the "To Do" page, I stamped the letters from the Jumbo outline Alphabet and colored them in with my Versamarker. I stamped the flourish once, added a piece of designer series paper and my tab. This will be great for keeping track of all of the schedules the kids come home with. I can just punch holes and stick them in the binder. I won't have to go frantically searching for music schedules and the calendar for Colin's snack day.





The other thing we have trouble organizing are the many local restaurant menus we have lying around the house. We have been keeping them in a file folder and it gets stuffed and things are hard to find. This way I can have a section for them. I have already punched holes in them and added them to the binder. To make this page I stamped "favorite" from Define Your Life, cut it out and added it to a piece of HodgePodge Hardware before putting it on the page. I made my title the exact same way as my To Do page, except I used Old Olive cardstock instead of River Rock. The rest of the definition is then stamped on Very Vanilla and matted on Chocolate Chip. I again added a tab with the Round Tab punch and some more Baroque Backgrounds designer series paper.



I stopped after making these pages, but now I have ideas for more dividers running through my head. I want to add a section for the many restaurant coupons we get and can never find when we need them. I am sure as time goes on I will continually add to the binder as I need to.



Have fun making one for your home and if you do, post in the comments section so I can see it too.



Jenn

17 comments:

Pegg S said...

Fabulous binder -- it looks wonderful! What a great idea !!

beate said...

Great idea, Jenn! Your binder looks wonderful!

Tina said...

What a grand idea. I love those colors and the design!

Flossie's Follies said...

WOW, this is fatastic, what a great idea and how lovely it turned out.

Flossie's Follies said...

WOW, this is fatastic, what a great idea and how lovely it turned out.

Tracy said...

Jenn, that is so cute. What a great idea. Everyone can use one of those!

My Paper World said...

Amazing! such a great idea for the menus,and I love how you stamped on the printed calender. Very creative and Beautiful!

Christi said...

What an awesome idea! You did a fantastic job! Beautiful!

Jennifer Ofiana said...

Good idea, it's beautiful!

Joan B said...

Wow, this is fabulous. Clever, beautiful and useful!!!

Anonymous said...

Inspired Genius!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! I like everything about this-- the paper, the organization elements, etc. I WILL be casing this! Just one question-- did you "rough up" the vinyl exterior of the binder before applying the modpodge?? Thanks for the inspriation.

Denise

Christina Fischer said...

OMGosh Jenn -- this project is fantastic! I could SO use a binder like that -- thanks for the idea! :)

Mistylynn said...

Well, I have to say that you are so much more ambitious than I. That binder is awesome! The time, the beautiful details, wow...it just looks great. So organized. You know I keep meaning to tell you that I was born and raised in good ol' IL. I miss it. Have a great day.
Misty

Penny G said...

This is a fabulous idea! This would probably go over for a class this fall for a gift idea.

Angie Tieman said...

This is amazing! Love that calendar page and the way you could customize it for yourself, cool!

Jen said...

What a great idea! I love how you did this and the way you gave details on how you did it.

Heather P. said...

This is just AWESOME!!