October 16, 2007

Enabler Alert

Emily Giovanni posted a tutorial for altering Target Notebooks yesterday and it caused me to go on a shopping spree. You can find her wonderful tutorial here, along with a picture of what the notebook looked like before it was altered. I have to say I never paid attention to these notebooks because I never realized there were 2 in a pack. All of them are taken apart in my Target, and there was no way I was paying $2.49 for just one notebook. I followed Emily's tutorial, but since I have a Mod Podge phobia, I changed mine up to use Sticky Strip instead.

I covered this first notebook with Apple Cider designer series paper, tied on a 5/8" chocolate grosgrain bow, added the flower from True Friend, a small button with some Linen thread and I was done in about 15 minutes. These are so much fun to alter and so quick and easy.





This is the second notebook I did. I actually made 4 of these in about 45 minutes. While my Target did not have many of the above notebooks they had a million of these. I measured the front to be 3" X 4 1/4 inches and followed Emily's idea for covering the front, but there are no snaps to deal with on the front of these. On the back there are 2 metal pieces that hold the elastic strap on. They are larger than the snap, so I followed Emily's advice. I held my paper up to it, traced the outline of the metal and then used my 3/4" hole punch to punch out the area it would affect. To deal with the elastic strap I made a small slit from the edge into the circle where the strap laid and you can not see the slit at all because the strap covers it completely. I added a 5/8" real red grosgrain bow, colored in the penguin from Punch Pals with classic inks and my blender pen and punched the paper out with my smallest tag punch. I layered it on a larger Real Red tag by using my large tag punch. I then tied it on with a piece of natural hemp twine and I was done.

Okay, you can now run to your car and drive like a mad woman to your local Target. Hurry, because they may be sold out by the time you are done reading this. *wink*

Jenn

2 comments:

Flossie's Follies said...

These are so cute, I love altering notebooks, have not done any in awhile, need to get busy.

Heather P. said...

These are simply gorgeous!