September 11, 2007

Trick Or Treat!


Fall is by far my favorite season, and today just feels like fall. It is a perfect 70 degrees outside, there is a gentle breeze blowing and when I was walking Colin into preschool there was a little chill in the air. Fall weather reminds me of two of my favorite seasons, Halloween and Thanksgiving. Since Halloween isn't that far away I decided to make a two pocket pouch to show you. This is so easy. It is a folding task that even I can accomplish so it must mean it is super easy. Wouldn't this be so cute to hand out at a school Halloween party? Or even to your neighbors as they come knocking on your door. Since there are two pockets you can tuck a card into one side and a candy treat into the other.


I started with a 12 X 12 piece of cardstock and scored it at 1" along two opposite sides. I folded down the sides and adhered them down with SNAIL adhesive. I then scored the other two sides at 3 1/2", folded them and adhered them down as well. There will be some overlap. With the seam from folding on the outside I folded the piece in half and scored 1/4" on each side of the fold to make the bottom of my bag. When I had it folded I used some more SNAIL just at the top to hold the bag together. The holes for the ribbon handles are punched out with my horizontal slot punch and I just folded the Pumpkin Pie 1/4" grosgrain ribbon over and glued a small overlapping section of the ribbon together.


I didn't want to draw too much attention to the front of my bag since this Creepy Crawly paper is just too cute. I have a 3 1/2" square piece of Whisper White cardstock that I stamped the cat from Autumn Apparitions in Basic Black. I stamped the cat first to make it appear that he is standing on the word "boo". I also stamped the letters from my Jumbo Outline Alphabet in basic black before coloring them in with my AquaPainter and Pumpkin Pie Ink. I then outlined the letters and the cat in Sahara Sand. I matted this layer on Basic Black and Pumpkin Pie cardstock, tied a piece of Basic Black 1/4" grosgrain ribbon around the layer and adhered it to the front of the bag.


As soon as Evan wakes up from his nap I am all ready to head outside to enjoy this gorgeous weather. Today is a rough day for Colin. We have been through about 5 eye patches already and bouts of him crying to get his patch to slide off. When he first started wearing a patch about 1 1/2 years ago I volunteered to wear one along with him. After 30 seconds I was going batty. He has to patch while at home for 6 weeks. Once he gets used to using his weaker eye it will go easier but these first few days are a huge battle for us. I hope they pass quickly.


I hope you have wonderful weather where you are too. Go out and enjoy it while it lasts because before we know it we will probably have snow on the ground and much lower temperatures.


Jenn

5 comments:

beate said...

Adorable bag! Love it!
It's hot and humid here. It already rained 3 times today and is gearing up for a 4th time. In between the sun is BURNING hot, making it nice and sticky. LOL

stefanie said...

Adorable!

Flossie's Follies said...

this bag is adorable, love it. Hope Evan gets comfortable with the patch soon

Michelle said...

Too cute, you should do a tutorial since I am a visual person!!!

Amy said...

This is too cute! I have to try one of these. Thanks for sharing instructions!