September 22, 2007

Are You Inspired?

This morning I was sitting downstairs with the boys and decided it would be a good time to check out the Inspiration Challenge on SCS today. I don't often do these challenges because I often don't see in them what other people do. However, I have decided that I need to stretch myself and figured I'd see what I can come up with.

Today's Inspiration piece is an enamel frame from Neiman Marcus and you can view it by clicking here. This is completely opposite of my style in color, but I did say I wanted to stretch myself, so I wrote a few things down about the piece. I wrote Oval, large flower, Perfect Plum, Pale Plum, Basic Black and complimentary green.

I just got a Coluzzle so I was set on the oval piece and I knew that Fabulous Flowers would work well for the large flower element. It is the colors that gave me trouble. I am not a huge purple fan and often my color schemes focus on Earth Elements of the Certainly Celery and Pretty in Pink of the Soft Subtles family. I can honestly say that I have never reordered Perfect Plum or Pale Plum and my supply is certainly not in jeopardy. The complimentary green I chose was Old Olive and I used it for the base of my card and layered it with Perfect Plum and Pale Plum. The Pale Plum layer was stamped with the Paisley background stamp in the same color. I then layered a Basic Black and Pale Plum oval that was cut out with my coluzzle. I wanted the black to be a little less prominent so I cut it down by about 1/4". On this layer I stamped the sentiment from So Many Sayings. I mounted my set on Dominoes so that each saying is separate and I really like it this way.

The largest flower is stamped in Perfect Plum on Whisper White and cut out into 3 layers, then is popped up on dimensionals. The other flowers and foliage are stamped in Rose Red and Mellow Moss and help to frame the ovals. While this card is by far not my favorite I am happy that I stretched my creativity a bit and took on the challenge.

I think I will use this for Roger's Anniversary card. Today marks the 6th anniversary of our wedding day. We plan to go out to dinner and have my parent's lined up as babysitters for the evening. The weather today is almost exactly like the weather on our wedding day too. I hope tomorrow doesn't mimic 6 years ago since it dropped to the mid 40's and rained the entire day.

Have a great Saturday!

Jenn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really beautiful! I am inspired to check out those challenges myself.

Thanks for sharing!

Alison

Angie Tieman said...

Nice job with the challenge! And what a challenge that would have been! lol! I know I shouldn't say that thing is hideous, it's just not my style! lol! So hats off to you for trying! *wink*

Heather P. said...

Oh wow, this is beautiful!