August 30, 2007

Something Marvelous



A few months ago I just had to have the Metallic Art Pencils from Stampin' Up! because I felt the need to have them. Then they sat on my shelf for a few months and I got the nerve to experiment with them last week. I learn by playing, so when the Ways to Use It Challenge for today was to color with pencils I had another opportunity to teach myself something.

I've heard that people color with Prismacolor pencils and use Gamasol to blend, and I've heard that people use Odorless Mineral Spirits as well. This is all Greek to me. I don't own Prismacolor pencils or blending stumps. I decided to make due with what I have. I do have Odorless Mineral Oil that I got for under $1 at Walgreens. I use it to keep my cutting board nice and conditioned so that the wood doesn't dry out and warp or crack. I got the bottle out of my lazy susan spice rack and grabbed a few Q-Tips before I headed downstairs to my stamping space. Have I mentioned when I win the lottery (which I don't play) I am adding a second story onto my home and in that 2nd story I will have a nice loft space with walls of windows to do my stamping in? My husband thinks I am just joking but it will happen some day.

I took a piece of Shimmery White cardstock and stamped the Dragonfly from Something Marvelous in Basic Gray. I really don't know when the stamp set came out or retired, but my Sister-in-law loaned it to me when I became a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator and I only owned 2 sets of my own. When I recently moved all of my stamping stuff from two tables along the wall into cabinets I rediscovered the stamps she sent over to my house and I thought this would be a perfect image to color in with the Metallic Art Pencils. I simply colored along the outline of the wings in blue and went over it with my Q-Tip that I had stuck into my Mineral Spirits. It colored the image so easily and smoothly. I did the same with the greenish color on the dragonflies body. After I was done I outlined it a bit in silver and pulled the color a bit more to add some nice shading along the "drag" lines of the stamped image. I heat set the image with my heat gun to make sure the mineral spirits were dry. I then matted it on Mellow Moss and Ruby Red before setting it aside.

I took a piece of 4 1/4 X 11 piece of Blue Bayou and scored at 5 1/2". I used my largest Priceless flourish and stamed in Blue Bayou before adding the flowers in Whisper White craft ink. I then colored in the centers of these flowers in Ruby Red when the ink was dry. I then matted a piece of Soft Sky designer series paper with Mellow Moss cardstock and tied a length of Blue Bayou Double Stitched ribbon around it. I added the sentiment from Something Marvelous in Blue Bayou on Shimmery White cardstock, matted it on Mellow moss and added two Vintage Brads. I then set the sentiment up on dimensionals before adding all of the elements to my cardfront. I always get all of my elements together, placed loosely on my cardfront before I commit to placing them there permanently. That way I can change anything down to the last second. I am really pleased with my second coloring attempt with these pencils and I hope you like it too.

Jenn

4 comments:

Tara said...

so pretty...what a neat way to make a card!

Flossie's Follies said...

Great card, love how you stamped the background.

Angie Tieman said...

Oooh, your butterfly is gorgeous! I'm so impressed you figured that all out! It's awesome!

StamperSharon said...

This is beautiful, Jenn! I really like the dragonfly with the Priceless stamps -- a perfect accent! Great coloring, too!