August 12, 2007

Birthday Wishes


This is one of the first weekends we have had two days to spend at home. We planned on having a lazy weekend, but as things always happen we tend to do a bit more than we planned. Yesterday the kids did get to spend a bit of time in their blow up pool, but it was too hot to even be out in the water. We also ran our normal errands and we watched Flushed Away as a family. Colin told us it was funny, but we shouldn't get it again. I'm not sure what that means but he must not have been too thrilled with it.



This morning we planned to go to the Pancake breakfast that was a fundraiser for Colin's school and from there go to church. Evan ended up making a total mess of his clothes so Roger took him home to change while I took Colin to church. He wanted to see all of his friends at children's church and like me he doesn't like to walk in late for anything. Afterwards I scrubbed down my house like a mad woman. I don't like the idea of having to come home from vacation and clean, so I'm on a good start to that. Now I just have to be organized enough to get all of the clothes washed and packed before we have to go. Needless to say I will still forget something along the way and we'll have to run out and buy something when we get to our destination. It never fails.



I needed a stamping breaks so I sat down to make this card for Lauren's Sketch Challenge. I wanted to use my Outlaw Designer Series paper and from there I picked my color scheme (Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, Not Quite Navy, Sage Shadow and Whisper White) for my cardstock. I am not good at making many masculine cards so I decided to challenge myself to do just that. I think it has a pretty masculine feel to it. Especially since I don't have any masculine stamp sets.



The creamy caramel layer is stamped with the paisley from Polka Dots and Paisley, then with Adia Cloth. I wanted a distressed feel so after I inked up my stamp in Creamy Caramel I went and hit my stamp with some smudges of Close to Cocoa and then sponged the edges after I had stamped the cloth background. Finally I distressed the edges with my Cutter's Tool kit. That tool is a must have in my book. I have to reach for it all of the time. To break up the stripes in the designer series paper I folded over 1/4" border at the top and stamped All in a Row in Sage Shadow. The other layers are pretty self explanatory. I stamped in Timber Brown Stazon images from Double Line Doodles and colored them in with my AquaPainter with Really Rust, Not Quite Navy, Sage Shadow and Creamy Caramel. To finish it off I stamped Birthday Wishes which are both from Fundamental Phrases and added some hemp twine and a piece of HodgePodge Hardware.



Now I can hopefully relax a bit before Monday hits and everything gets crazy again.



Jenn

7 comments:

Lauren (mytime) said...

Jenn this is fabulous. I love the colors you chose too! I never used that set! I sold it a little while ago but you worked magic with it.

beate said...

Jenn, wonderful card! Love that you used one of the lesser used stamps in my sweet All in a Row set. Does it leave your table anymore? I don't put mine away. LOL
I do the same thing, cleaning before vacation I mean. Have a wonderful trip.
Hugs and smiles

Kristine Reynolds said...

Beautiful card!

Flossie's Follies said...

What a great card, love the striped paper. Know what you mean about cleaning before you go on vacation, I have to have everything spotless before I leave. Have a good time.

Samm said...

Wow, this is stunning, what a fabulous card!

Samm
x

Heather P. said...

This is absolutely fantastic!!

Tandra said...

Simply the most adorable Ive seen with this set!! Love the bird in the frame, and the colors are fabulous!