July 6, 2007

Waste Not, Want Not


I have always prided myself on being fairly frugal, or if you want a harsher word to describe myself - cheap. Before Roger and I were married we used to have contests on who could be the cheapest. What a contest to have! LOL. We used to split the grocery bill down to the last penny and we kept all of our finances seperate until we were married. He'd pay for one date out, I'd get the next. Why we did this, we don't know, but until we were married we kept our paychecks to ourselves and paid our own bills, even though we both owned the same house. Our augments weren't based on any solid evidence, just our silly beliefs. His argument was that he was German and therefore the cheapest. My argument, I was Polish and therefore the cheapest. This went on for years, that is until I won! We went with friends, now Colin's Godparents, to Wisconsin for a vacation inbetween me teaching the regular school year and summer school. On our way home we stopped in The Dells and we found a Polish buffet to eat at where they charged you $1.50 per plate if they deemed you had too many leftovers on your plate. I have never been to a buffet that charged you both to eat there and for the food you left on your plate. I was declared the Hands Down Winner! I always knew I was right.
Why the tangent? This card was made totally from scraps. I didn't have to break into a single piece of new cardstock, ribbon, container of brads or dimensionals. This is for the Limited Supplies Challenge that was posted today, which challenged me to make a card that CASE'd a sample from the new catalog. I chose a card on page7 that used Baroque Motifs. My colors for ink and cardstock include, Chocolate Chip, River Rock, Whisper White, Pumpkin Pie and Always Artichoke. I used some Vintage Brads and Cream Grosgrain ribbon. I use every single piece of foam dimensional in the pack including the small tiny borders surrounding the hexagons in the package. This card made use of those very scraps. I hate to throw anything out or waste a single cent.
I hope you all have a great weekend. I will post if I have a chance, but I am busy getting ready for my 1st Hostess Club meeting of the new catalog.
Jenn

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, great job with the challenge!!

beate said...

Great card! I was laughing reading your story. Hey....we German's aren't cheap...we have a saying for what we are:
Sparsam ist nicht geizig.
Translated it would go something like that:
Being Frugal doesn't mean being cheap.

Love the colors and layout of this card. Love, love, LOVE the set!
I had fun at my camp. I hope you will have a great hostess meeting tomorrow.
Hugs and smiles

Linda McClain said...

I love, love, this card. This is my favorite stamp set out of th new catalog. Love the chocolate tone-on-tone look. Linda

Michelle said...

Love this Baroque Motifs card!