July 9, 2007

Sentimental Journey


A few weeks ago after a stamping class my mom asked me if I had any ideas for invitations for my dad's retirement party. She needed to order stuff that day and get started on them in the next week or so. I was running super late to get to get back home to go to a birthday party that Colin was invited to, and I just happened to have my very first Control Freaks swap with me. My mom wanted a masculine card and I had loved the way Lisa Martz used Stamp of Authenticity in this card. The flowers are a little girly, and are not really up my dad's alley, so we decided to use Knobbly Gnomes instead and my mom used the general layout for the invites. She made 75 of them and lucky for her the box from Stampin' Up! was at her doorstop 5 days after I ordered it.


When she asked me a few days ago to make a Guest Book for all of my dad's friends to sign I asked her if she wanted me to make it to match the invitations and she already had a large On Board Art Journal on hand. Yesterday I got started on the notebook and so far this is the front cover of it. I am still debating if I should add ribbons to the binding, as I think it might make it too girly, but I will let it all fall in place as I continue to work on it during the week.


The papers are from Sentimental Journey, which is now retired. I covered the entire front with the brown polka dotted piece of designer paper, making a slit 5/8" down from the top and then I was able to use my spiral punch and make it line up perfectly with the binding on the book. I then added the bottom piece of striped paper to break up the brown and again I made the 5/8" slit, but from the bottom of the paper this time. It needed something to pull the two pieces of designer series paper together so I added the piece of basic black cardstock in the middle. The other cardstock is Sahara Sand and Buckaroo blue. The Gnome is colored in with re-inkers and an AquaPainter to make the colors really pop. I used the 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, some retired Vintage brads and dimensionals on the circle layer. For good measure I added a piece of black gingham ribbon around the layer with the gnome. I plan to get started on the inside of the book later today. I have to have something to keep me busy until my newest order arrives from Stampin' Up!. I thought it was going to be here Wednesday, which I thought was the 12th, but I am a day off. Oh well, Thursday will hopefully be here before I know it.


Jenn

No comments: