June 21, 2007

My Newest Challenge


I have so many bits and pieces of left over paper from the Spring mini and I may even have some left over from the Winter Mini too. Where am I going to put all of the stuff, espcially when I get a look at the new catalog that is supposed to be on our doorstep anytime next week. I am so excited about seeing all of the new stuff that it is what I think about when I wake up and even in my dream. I had an odd dream the other night that I got my Fall Winter Collection and it was filled with Christmas decorations. I couldn't figure that one out and I kept looking for the second catalog that had actual stamping supplies.
Today I did get a package from UPS, but it sadly wasn't my new catalogs. I did however, purchase All in a Row, thanks to the wonderful faux stitching cards Beate has been posting on her blog with it. It is a set of 4, but I cut it apart into 8 pieces so that I could mount each row on one side of the block and make it more versatile. That's one great thing about assembling your own stamps. You can do it how you like. I always like to mount them toward the right hand side of the block so that it is easy for me to look under the left hand side when I am stamping to see exactly where it is going to line up. You can't do that with stamps you get from your local craft stores.
This card was made for the Ways to Use It challenge which was to make a square card. This card measures 5 1/4 square for it's finished size. I used Taken with Teal as the base and then layered it with Pretty in Pink and a piece of paper from the Petals and Paisley designer series paper. The other layers are certainly celery and so saffron, each being matted with a piece of designer series paper from Petals and Paisley. All of the edges are stamped with All in a Row and Chocolate chip ink to make them look like they are sewn on in a zig zag pattern. I then distressed the smaller layers with my cutter's tool kit. I stamped the Big Blooms onto Whisper White with Rose Red and Taken with Teal and then matted them on the opposite color and cut around the edges to show the color underneath. The sentiment is from Warm Words. It is stamped in Old Olive and then heat embossed with Crystal Clear Embossing Powder. I added some Soft Subtles brads and some narrow Celery organdy ribbon to finish the card off. The sentiment is set up on dimensionals.
My challenge is to use up as much of my retiring supplies and mini supplies as possible to make room for all of the new stuff I am going to be ordering on July 1st. Out with the old . . . In with the New!
Jenn

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a fun card! Love the colors.

Julie Masse said...

Pretty card - great faux stitching

Phyllis said...

I loe those bright colors and the squqre design. Beautiful card!

Dawn said...

Great card! I'm going to order that All in a Row set too!!! Seeing everyone use it now...I want it! Thanks for the tip about mounting them on one side. I always do the middle but on a side makes more sense!

Rochelle W said...

Your card so so pretty. I love the colors and the layout. Your faux stitching is very cool.