June 19, 2007

Lovely Silhouette



I don't tend to use Real Red, or any of the Bold Brights much. That is why I was happy when this week's Color Combination pulled me out of my comfort zone. I always seem to reach for the same colors and my Stampin' Up! orders can vouch for that. Today's color combination was Real Red, Creamy Caramel and Barely Banana. I probally cheated by throwing in some Black Grosgrain ribbon and my Old Olive stems but I really love how this card came out.

Besides stepping out of my color combo comfort zone I also tried a new technique that I have never used before - heat embossing. I stamped my Silhouette twice with Versamark before embossing it with crystal clear embossing powder and I even took my brand new Stampin' Up! heat gun out of it's box. It's only been about a month that I ordered it so it's about time. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right, but it's nice and shiny and raised so I guess I'm good to go.

I had a whole other sketch in mind when I started this card, but I like the simplicity of it. I used Naturals White and stamped my image on after coloring it in with my Real Red and Old Olive Stampin' Write markers. I then matted it on Real Red and Barely Banana cardstock. I felt my layers needed to be grounded a little more so I added a single piece of black organdy ribbon around the Creamy Caramel layer before I attached it to the Real Red cardstock base. I finished it off by stamping Lovely onto my Naturals White layer.

Remember that you have until Thursday at noon to win my card candy contest by submitting a card of your own. Have fun and good luck!

Jenn

3 comments:

Heather said...

Your card sentiment is exactly right! This card is very lovely. :)

Becky said...

What a pretty card! Is that a SU stamp? Very pretty!

Michelle said...

You did a great card with the colour combo!