May 9, 2007

A Snappy Birthday for Shane



If you haven't heard about Shane's Wish, or even if you have, check out his website. Help him reach his goal of setting the world record for the most birthday cards received.

Yesterday the Color Combination Challenge was to use Taken with Teal, Marigold Morning and Cool Caribbean along with the challenge to make a kid's birthday card. I have also wanted to try out Beate's Tutorial for the Joy Fold Card, which I posted in my blog yesterday.

First let me say, that Beate writes fabulous tutorials and always seems to have the neatest projects on her blog. I am sure most of you read it already, but if you have been living under a rock, her blog is located here. Now onto my frustrating experience making my first Joy Fold card, and it has nothing to do with Beate, just my inability to follow directions to a "T". I started with my piece of Taken with Teal cardstock that is supposed to be cut to 4 1/4 X 8 1/2. Silly me saw the 4 1/4 X 8 1/2 and I simply took my Taken with Teal and cut it down the center. I then scored it at 5 1/2" and I ended up with a normal everyday card. I have all of the pieces lined up and I'm trying to figure out how this is all supposed to come together. I am flipping back and forth to the measurements, tutorial, Beate's examples and nothing looks right. I have all of my pieces cut and I have a normal card base. It literally took me 10 minutes of flipping back and forth to realize that I didn't cut my paper to 8 1/2". I had left it at 4 1/4 X 11". That is why my card didn't work, and as soon as I figured out my user error I was well on my way to completing the card. It was a breeze from there. I won't make that error again twice, or at least I hope not.

I layered some Petals and Paisley designer series paper onto the Taken with Teal base. I used the same sheet for both patterns, as I only had to flip it over to the back to have flowers on one side and polka dots on the other. Then I layered on my Marigold Morning, Cool Carribean and Whisper White. I don't have many kid friendly sets so it was going to have to be Crab and Co or nothing at all. A few months back Kyla Maestas had colored her crab in with Tempting Turqoise and Cool Caribbean and I loved how the little guy turned out. Now everytime I color in the crab I am reaching for that color combination and it worked extremely well for the color challenge yesterday. The sand is colored in with Creamy Caramel and his hat with Real Red and Marigold Morning. I used the Ticket Corner punch to add a little interest to the corners and then made faux brads with my white gel pen.

To help close the card I added the present that is colored with Real Red for the bow and Cool Carribean for the box. I punched it out with my circle punch and then matted it on Taken with Teal. It is popped up on a dimensional and it holds the card closed. It slides in and out of the closure fairly easily. Inside I stamped Snappy Birthday in Marigold Morning.

Now it's your turn. Get your stamping supplies out and send Shane a card. Just a little FYI - postage to Canada is $0.63 for a card, so if you have a bunch of stamps that you need to get rid of before the increase on May 14th, you can use up 2 of those stamps and you won't have to go to the Post Office to figure it out.

Jenn

2 comments:

Marie said...

This is super cute and I know Shane will love it!! TFS

beate said...

Your card is gorgeous! I love the paper, the colors and the stamp set you used!