April 10, 2007

I have a Bedroom Back!


This past winter was so cold and blustery that when I'd go downstairs to work on stamping projects I could never get anything done. My hands would turn to ice and I'd run shivering back upstairs to don a sweatshirt and try again. The southern exposure on the back of our house is wonderful! The sunlight streams in, the house stays nice and toasty warm and the furnace doesn't run much so the gas bill is a lot less costly. But that all wreaks havoc on the temperature of our basement. After a few weeks of accomplishing next to nothing I had a somewhat brilliant idea. I'd simply pack up all of my Stampin' Up! supplies and move them upstairs. We live in a 3 bedroom house and it is comfortable in size, however we have 4 people that occupy those bedrooms. I can't dare put my Stampin' Up! stuff in one of my son's rooms. That's asking for a disaster to happen. So I moved my rolling file folder cart, my stamps, inks, punches, ribbons, stampin' scrubs, hemp twine, 12 X 12 designer paper, various stamping magazines, books, order forms . . . . *you get the idea* into our Master bedroom. Needless to say after that list the room was getting crowded. But I could work on cards and other various projects while the kids played peacefully in the other room, sharing their toys, complimenting each other on their wonderful behavior *cough cough* Okay I need to wake up and look at reality. The reality of it is that I got some stuff done in the time I spent removing kids from my projects and protecting every last item from little hands. It was fun for a while and then the aggravation started to set in.
Have you ever tried to sleep in your office? It's not too peaceful. I would curl up in bed with a good book, but out of the corner of my eye I'd catch a fleeting glance of a project I started and didn't get to complete. I'd stumble over extra Sell-a-Bration stamp sets that I'm holding on to for future hostess gifts. I'd feel the shadow my Color Caddy cast across my face as I was trying to read. It just wasn't happening. So tonight I said enough was enough. I was going to get my bedroom back! I packed up all of the supplies I mentioned above, plus every stamp set that was available in the Spring mini catalog because I just needed them all. Added a couple more packages of designer series paper, a 5 x 5 Art Journal, a box of 100 medium weight 4 X 4 coasters, 5 Provo Craft lunch tins, the box of stuff I got from Stampin' Up today. Then I realized that my bedroom was even more crowded than it started out. So I got a good workout and all of my stuff downstairs and reorganized. Now I'm feeling pretty good. I don't have enough energy to stamp . . . but I can sit here and type out the senario in the comfort of my recliner.
So what project do I have for you today? This is a card I CASED from Kyla Maestas. I did make a few where I cut my crab out just like hers, but I was planning on sending out about 10 of these for my son's birthday party invitations for his 4th birthday on Sunday. I will still send them . . . only now they are going to be Thank you notes. *wink* My next goal is to find a balance. I need time to stamp, but I can't get both of the boys to take a nap at the same time or to need me as soon as I pull all of my supplies out. But with my reorganized space in the basement I'm hoping to escape for an hour or two after dinner, when they need Daddy time, and I won't be missed.
Here are the card details. The crab and saying are from Crab and Company and it is a set featured in the Spring Mini Stampin' Up! catalog. I stamped him in Jetblack Stazon and then colored him in with an AquaPainter and Cool Caribbean and Tempting Turquoise ink. I used the Ticket corner punch on the Whisper White layer as well as on the Cool Caribbean layer before mounting it on a square of Tempting Turquoise cardstock. The hat is colored in using a Real Red and Yoyo Yellow Stampin' Write marker. The base of the card is Cool Caribbean and the wording is stamped on with Tempting Turquoise while the shells are stampedin Cool Caribbean. I added a strip of Petals and Paisley Designer Series paper and matted it on Pink Passion Cardstock. I think this is a fun set and when I saw Kyla's card I fell in love with the colors and the design, so thank you for the inspiration!

No comments: