March 26, 2007

Mother's Day Swap

I decided to host a Mother's Day swap on one of the message boards I belong to. All of the submissions coming in are fabulous! So I figured I had to come up with a great idea, but I am in a creative slump. Then I was browsing through OnStage Magazine from Stampin' Up! and I came across the Butterfly from Reason to Smile and I loved it. The image was on the front of a coaster and when I find where my son hid my magazine I'll give credit to the creator. But the image was stamped in pink with brown edges on the butterfly. So that is where I got my idea from, but I needed a card so my project took another turn and from there on the work is mine.

To start this card I cut naturals white cardstock to the size of the wooden block that the butterfly is mounted on and each of the layers from that point on is 1/4 inch larger. I inked the image in regal rose and then I rocked it in the Chocolate chip ink to coat just the edges of the wings. When I stamped it on the paper I had a two toned butterfly. Then I sponged Creamy Caramel around the butterfly image. I then used 2 way glue and Dazzling Diamonds glitter on just the body of the butterfly to make it a little sparkly.

The image looked a little plain so I used the ticket corner punch on the top corners and the crafters tool kit with the paper piercing tool and mat to punch holes in the bottom two. I had just gotten a package of the Au Chocolate paper and I have been dying to use it so I layered that under my butterfly image and then matted it again on Regal Rose. The 1/16" hole punch was used to add Vintage brads to my corners that were punched with the ticket corner punch and I punched through all 3 layers of the top image.

I got the image at the top of my card by stamping the flower image in Versamark and it was the first time I had ever pulled out my pad of Versamark. Then I used my chocolate chip marker to color in the words on the Just So Sayings stamp and left mother to be colored in Regal Rose. After the image was stamped I cut it out with the small oval punch and then I sponged Creamy Caramel over the words as well. The Regal rose was cut out with the large oval punch and I used Versamark again to stamp on the same flower image that goes across the top of the card. I then tied on Rose grosgrain ribbon and put the oval layer onto the card with dimensionals.

I sure hope everyone who is receiving my swap likes it as much as I do.

No comments: